Balance of Payments Statistics September Quarter 2011
Release No: 45
Date: 12th October, 2012
Provisional data on Fijiís balance of payments for September Quarter 2011 show:
- Current and capital account net lending of $F17.8 million;
- Financial account net lending of $F245.9 million.
Higher receipts for our international service providers resulted in a net inflow of $15.8m in the September quarter of 2011. This was a reverse to
the net outflow of $F35.3m recorded in the September Quarter of 2010. The following flows were recorded:
- Net goods deficit improved by $F78.2m due to an increase in the exports of sugar.
- Net services surplus increased by $F22.2m due to an increase in personal travel credits.
- Net primary income deficit increased by $F7.1m due to an increase in outflow of investment income abroad.
- Net secondary income surplus decreased by $F42.2m due to a decrease in the inflows of other transfers from abroad.
The capital account recorded a net inflow of $F2.0m in the September quarter of 2011. This was $0.8m higher than the net inflow recorded a year earlier.
The balance on financial account for September quarter, 2011 recorded a net lending of $F245.9m which consisted of -$F139.4m in equity and $F385.3m in debts.
Direct investment recorded a net outflow of $F142.8m:
Portfolio investments recorded a net inflow of $F266.1m:
- Direct investment assets recorded an inflow of $F1.4m
- Direct investment liabilities recorded an inflow of $F144.2m.
Other investments recorded a net outflow of $F58.9m. This was the net effect of the following:
- Portfolio investment assets recorded no transaction
- Portfolio investment liabilities recorded an outflow of $F266.1m. The major component is the payment of International Government Bonds issued in 2006.
Reserve assets showed an inflow of $F181.5m in the September quarter of 2011.
- Other investment assets recorded an outflow of $F272.8m, due to the withdrawal of $F322.9m in currency and deposits which were held abroad.
- The $17.9m worth of Loans made by Fiji residents plus the trade credit and advances of $F1.0m. However, there was an inward contribution of other accounts receivable worth $F69.0m.
- Other investment liabilities recorded an outflow of $F213.9m. This was due to the withdrawal of currency and deposits of $F19.4m and Loans received by Fiji residents of $F210.8m.
However, there was an inward contribution of trade credit and advances of $F16.2m and other accounts receivable of $F0.1m.
If you want more detailed information on the Balance of Payments Statistics for September Quarter 2011
please contact the Fiji Bureau of Statistics at:
Tel: (679) 331 5822
Fax: (679) 330 3656
For further enquiries please contact Ms Radhika Kumar on 3315822 ext 119.