Rue des Accords de Matignon, Nouméa, New Caledonia
The Nature Conservation and Protected Areas conference has become the principle conference of government agencies, NGOs, community-based organisations, donor agencies and individual experts concerned with conservation science and practice in the Pacific islands region. The conference is the key opportunity to set a Pacific based and initiated agenda for Pacific conservation for the next four-seven years.
What is the purpose?
We organize the conference because, as a region, we want to:
- Influence the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
- Guide and innovate conservation action at a national and regional level in Oceania
- Secure sustainable funding for nature conservation in Oceania
What are the objectives?
- Inform about and analyse the State of Conservation in the Pacific islands and define progress towards the achievement of regional and global conservation priorities.
- Define a Pacific based and initiated agenda and priorities for conservation beyond 2020 (new Framework for Nature Conservation and Protected Areas).
- Build Pacific nature conservation capacity and stimulate knowledge management and learning related to biodiversity conservation.
- Endorse the framework at a regional level through a High-level Conference Declaration with regional priorities for Nature Conservation.
Le PROE, la PIRT et la Nouvelle-Calédonie