The Environmental Sustainability programme was first funded by GIZ, activities since 2014 are funded by DFAT.
As a leader in the field of Climate Change response, SPC has initiated a corporate emission reduction programme to reduce its own carbon footprint – the first regional organisation in the Pacific to do so.
Starting in 2011 the organisation began quantifying the amount of CO2 it produces by preparing a core inventory that includes all facilities located in the Noumea headquarters and Suva, Pohnpei and Honiara regional offices.
By analysing procurement data for energy and other consumables, SPC can calculate its carbon footprint in line with international standards. For the year 2011 SPC emissions were calculated at approximately 1700 tonnes equivalent of CO2. This process provided a baseline figure to measure our annual progress in reducing emissions.
SPC’s emissions reduction programme is focussed on four key areas:
- The first is the automatic monitoring of emissions to track annual performance.
- Electricity consumption accounts for 90% of SPC’s core emissions. The second key area, based on energy audits conducted in Noumea, Suva, Pohnpei and Honiara, is the implementation of energy efficiency recommendations.
- The third key result area is exploring options to offset carbon emissions and improving the energy efficiency of staff housing assets owned by SPC.
- The final key area is the establishment of an Environmental Management System in SPC. This involves communication with staff, induction and training and the development of a green office policy.
Please contact Aude Chenet, SPC Environmental Sustainability Coordinator: [email protected]
How to ?
Want to make your own home detergents? Why making our own cleaning products?
- It allows to reduce my waste, especially since in a region where recycling is not yet a habit
- It saves money, my wallet is happy!
- They are respectful of our environment and they don’t pollute rivers, lagoon, their flora and fauna.
- They are respectful of my health
- They guarantee the air quality of home
- They are effective and smell really good!
They are fun to make !!
Please check this out: “Make your own cleaning products!”
Want to know what your footprint is?
As an official partner of the Global footprint network, please check out their carbon calculator to assess your ecological footprint.
SPC Noumea Headquarters getting greener: 100% recycling
Want to check out our last programme update video
Looking for an outdoor activity? please join us!
Last resforestation action: First SPC trees were planted in Fort Tereka, Nouville, Nouméa on the 20th of August.
Have a look at the video
SPC now has its own restoration site in Ouen Toro, Noumea.
You want to take part into restoration session ?
You want information on what we do, contact [email protected]