An Environmental Management System was set up in each SPC office. This was done through communicating on sustainable practices and exchanges with staff, and through the implementation of GHG emission reduction actions.
Since 2016, a 100 % waste recycling system is operated in SPC Headquarters in Noumea.
Check out the programme update video
SPC, in partnership with WWF New Caledonia, has committed to biodiversity preservation through a project which involves the replanting of endemic tree species at the Ouen Toro Land Park in Noumea. The work started in September 2016 with land preparation activities, and the planting of dry forest trees was carried out successfully in 2017. Since then SPC staff continue to maintain the plot on a regular basis.
If you want to take part in restoration sessions, please contact [email protected]
See the video: Mocamana/SPC - Reforestation Fort Tereka
As part of the SPC’s efforts to reduce its environmental footprint, the RESCCUE project (Restoration of ecosystem services and adaptation to climate change, CCES division) has become the first carbon neutral project at SPC:
- Greenhouse gases emissions are avoided whenever possible
- Emissions that cannot be avoided are reduced to the extent possible
- Remaining emissions are offset through a partnership with Ekos, a New Zealand-based carbon offsetting charity and its Pacific Island rainforest carbon programme, the Nakau Programme.
Since 2017, SPC Regional Rights Resource Team (RRRT) has committed to reduce its carbon footprint by offsetting its flights when providing technical assistance to Pacific island countries and territories’ governments and civil society, with an agreement with Ekos.
To reduce the impact of its annual largest conference, the CRGA, SPC supported a carbon-offset initiative : the reforestation of the Fort Tereka area, in Nouméa, conducted in 2016 by Mocamana, a Caledonian association for the protection of the environment.
Make your own home detergents
Why making our own cleaning products?
- It allows to reduce my waste, especially since a region where recycling is not yet a habit
- It saves money, my wallet is happy!
- They are respectful of our environment and they do not pollute rivers, lagoon, their flora and fauna
- They are respectful of my health
- They guarantee the air quality of home
- They are effective and smell good!
- They are fun to make!
Please check this out: “Make your own cleaning products !”
Want to know what your ecological footprint is?
As an official partner of the Global footprint network, please check out their carbon calculator to assess your ecological footprint.