“We are the sea, we are the ocean.”– Epeli Hau’ofa, Pacifc Author and Poet
In celebration of our Pacifc Ocean, we are jointly launching Our Pacifc Ocean Media Awards, for Pacifc island media workers and youth.
As Large Ocean Island States, our Pacifc Ocean is our largest resource.
Our ocean is entwined within our Pacifc island culture and traditions, it has carried our ancestors from island to island as they navigated their way through our region, it is our Pacifc kitchen cupboard providing food and sustenance to many of our communities and it is the backbone for the livelihoods of many Pacifc island families.
Yet, the health and wellbeing of our Pacifc Ocean is under threat.
The challenges brought about by marine debris and marine plastic pollution, climate change, and over-fshing endanger this valuable resource.
In light of this, we acknowledge and commend you, our Pacifc island media who work to raise awareness and understanding of ocean issues through your media reports. It is with your support as ‘message sharers’ that news and information is relayed to our Pacifc communities, helping to increase the knowledge of our Pacifc people about our ocean, her challenges and our need to work collectively to care for her.
If you are a Pacifc island reporter working and residing in any of the eligible Pacifc islands, or a Pacifc islander currently studying overseas but are a national of any of the listed eligible islands, we warmly invite you to participate and submit entries for Our Pacifc Ocean Media Award.
Let’s celebrate our united commitment and dedication towards sharing news about our ocean!
Entries can be as innovative as you wish but must be based on our Ocean. Stories can showcase community projects and, or positive actions to conserve our ocean or her resources. They can be about the problems caused by bad practices, or about ocean champions – people doing positive things for our ocean. These are just some suggestions to get you thinking! There are so many different stories and angles that can be submitted.
Download: ENTRY FORM
There are fve categories for this award. These are:
- Print Ocean News Award
- Audio Ocean News Award
- Video Ocean News Award
- Journalism Student Ocean News Award
- Best Overall Ocean Award (to be selected from the Award winners)
The winner of each category is awarded 600 USD with the Best Overall Ocean Award to receive an additional 600 USD.
Rules and requirements
- This award is eligible for Pacifc island media workers who reside in, and work in media across the Pacifc islands of American Samoa, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kingdom of Tonga, Kiribati, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna. This award is also eligible for Pacifc Islanders that are studying overseas who are nationals of the countries on this list. As such, entries from non-Pacifc Island media workers will not be judged.
- All entries MUST be your own works, plagiarism is not accepted, this will be reﬂected in the entry form
- Each person is permitted to submit a maximum of three entries in any category.
- Submissions for the print, audio, video categories of Our Pacifc Ocean Media Award will need to have been published or broadcast during the period of 3 October 2017– 3 October 2018, in at least
one of the Pacifc island countries and territories.
- An accurate translation of a transcript in English should be provided if the news item is presented in a language other than French or English.
- All entries submitted may be shared on relevant websites. Judging will be based on journalism skill, accuracy, and profciency in the medium, innovation and creativity to maintain interest.
Please note: all entries may be republished. We may also seek to publish or broadcast any of the entries from the special category awards.
Launched on 8 June 2018, Our Pacifc Ocean Media Award closes at 4pm (Samoa time) on 5 October 2018. Winners will be announced on the International Day of Climate Action, 24 October 2018.
Entries can be submitted by post and/or email:
Our Pacifc Ocean Media Award
PO Box 240
[email protected] with Our Pacifc Ocean Media Award in the subject line.